Saturday, February 14, 2009

Samurai Champloo.




Size: L
Where: seller at New York Comic Con 2006



Why: What why? It's a cool show, and I liked the shirt.

Comment: Posting this shirt in honor of the fact that Vampire Cowboys' new show Soul Samurai begins tonight (and I've got tickets!).



Samurai Champloo was Shinichiro Watanabe's follow-up to his seminal Cowboy Bebop. While not as widely seen nor as universally adored as Bebop, the show still had a lot going for it - the trademark mix of pathos and wild action-fun, an awesome soundtrack, and a unique combination of Edo period setting and hip-hop culture and attitude that, while self-consciously historically inaccurate, just gave the whole enterprise an irrestistable joie-de-vivre.



Seriously, how can you not love this?:



"Champloo", to my understanding, is an old Okinawan word that means "crazy mix-up". Think sukiyaki or a nice big breakfast fry-up. Also, to my ear it sounds close enough to the Korean word "jjamppong" to make me think that there could exist a common root, somewhere.

And in keeping with the food theme, I'm actually kind of pissed off because, looking at these pictures, I'm seeing for the first time that I've managed to drip some giant, digusting oil stains all along the front of the shirt. I don't think it's all that noticeable on the shirt itself. Or that's what I'll keep telling myself, anyway.

No comments: